Academic HonorsCopyright: Peter Winandy
By awarding honors and distinctions RWTH Aachen University wishes to strengthen the university community.
The Senate has declared we award the following honors:
- University Medal for members and associates of the University for special service to RWTH
- Kármán Prize for enrolled and past students of the university for outstanding services to RWTH combined with academic achievements
- Laureateship of an Honorary Citizen for external persons for special services to the university
- von Kaven ring: primarily for external persons for special services to the university; the ring honors the founding Rector of RWTH Aachen, August von Kaven. He cared for the construction and development of the polytechnic university, its transformation into a technical university, and initiated lectures and presentations for the general public.
- Laureateship of an Honorary Senator: primarily for external persons for special services to the university
- Academic degree and laureateship of an honorary doctor for those, in a discipline of the respective faculty or in a neighboring discipline, who have achieved outstanding research or inventive achievement. These extraordinary achievements can have been completed outside of a university or within a research institution. This distinction is likewise aimed at self-educated persons with outstanding achievements.
Furthermore, the Rector’s Office awards the distinction “Representative of RWTH Aachen University” as well as the designation “Senior Professor” and “JARA-Senior Professor.”